Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0964
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the Earl Grey Docks in Dundee Harbour, looking southeast from the quayside. To the left hand side is the 20 ton steam crane, used for loading and unloading cargo.
The prominent building at the centre is the Harbour Master's office with an observation tower, while the large buildings at the right hand side are the public baths, the waterway between the two leading to the tidal harbour.
On 6th April 1888, when the photograph was taken, visitors to the Earl Grey Dock included the "Princess Maud" with goods from Liverpool (arrived on the 5th) and the "Ethel Gwendoline" with coals from Sunderland.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.