Dundee Harbour and Docks - Ref: WC0974
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows the King William Dock in Dundee. Wilson was the manager of a jute finishing factory (known as a calender) who spent much of his leisure time (and income) on photography.
The spire at the left is St Paul's Cathedral, built to a design by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1853. The street to the left is Castle Street, with the Exchange Coffee House at its south-most end.
The buildings leading eastwards to the right are in Dock Street, then the Greenmarket. The dome at the extreme right is the Seaman's Home. The small ships in the dock are trawlers. The wood lying on the water may have been destined for shipbuilding.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.