Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0138
This photograph shows the western end of Dundee's Dock Street, with the Greenmarket to the right and east, and Dundee West Railway Station to the left.
The rear of Gilfillan Memorial Church is impressive to the left, while next door is the 'public warehouse', which was occupied by various salt merchants and fruiterers. Around the corner is 'The Weigh House', another salt store.
Among the salt merchants, the Cowan family were pre-eminent. Members of the dynasty included George C.'s brother, Edward, who was Town Clerk of Broughty Ferry, and his father, James, who was a harbour trustee and member of Dundee Council from 1877-1982.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.