Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0145
This photograph shows the western section of Dundee's Dock Street - the central building of the three was occupied by salt and fruit merchants and was popularly thought of as a public warehouse. It was built to a 1758 design by William Robertson of Leven.
The impressive building to the left of the image is the back view of Gilfillan Memorial Church. Dundee Central Library's Lamb Collection 189 (18) includes a diverse range of materials relating to the building and its congregation.
It was named for George Gilfillan (minister of the United Presbyterian Church in Dundee from 1836 until his death in 1878). The first minister was David Macrae, previously a minister in Gourock. By the end of 1879, there were more than 1100 communicants.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.