Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0132
This photograph shows part of Dundee's East Dock Street, and although the Dundee Directory for 1898-99 does not list any businesses between No. 9 and No. 15, they match those listed in previous editions.
The Salt Store at No. 11 belonged to Henry Cowan. Cowan advertises Scotch salt for its primary use at the time, curing - that is preserving meat by storing it in barrels full of dry salt. Other placards mention rock salt for bathing.
The fruit store next door belonged to James Brough & Son, and No. 13 was another salt store, this time belonging to William Brown. The alley to the extreme right led to James Cowan's 'Public Weigh House'.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.