Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0148
This photograph shows the western part of Dundee's commodities area, with Dock Street leading westwards to the Caledonian Railway's Dundee East Station to the left and the Greenmarket in the right foreground.
The Weigh House belonged to James Cowan & Sons, one of several slat merchants from that family. The tops of the buildings visible beyond that are in Whitehall Crescent.
The rear of Gilfillan Memorial Church is the imposing edifice to the left of the 'public warehouse', built in 1758, with Henry Cowan's salt store, a fruiterers business belonging to James Brough, and another salt store belonging to Mrs William Brown.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.