Dock Street, Dundee - Ref: WC0149
This photograph shows the junction of the south end of Dundee's Commercial Street and the western section of Dock Street, with the Caledonian Railway's Dundee West Station in the far left.
The corner shop belonged to Miss Smith, who is listed in the Dundee Directory as a tobacconist, with Joseph Nicholson, house painter and decorator, and George D. Stalker, potato merchant. W. & S. Strong, spirit merchants were at No. 34.
No. 33 was the Navigation School, with Alexander Wood, nautical assessor, J. C. B. Jarvis, navigation teacher, J. T. Inglis & Sons, ship agents, whose individual entry describes them as 'general agents and coal merchants', as well as cycle agents.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.