D.M. Brown, High street and Commercial street, Dundee - Ref: WC1791
This large department store was established in 1888 on the corner of High Street and Rankine's Court. It has been greatly extended since then. D.M. Brown introduced a Shopping Arcade in 1906. This proved to be very popular with customers.
The Arcade was completed in 1908. The photograph was possibly taken to celebrate this event. The Arcade formed an avenue from High Street to Commercial Street. The Arcade is no longer there. The department store is still there, though it is no longer D.M.Brown's but is now Arnotts.(2001)
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.