Decorations on Strathtay House, Reform Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1784
The large image of Edward VII on the front of Strathtay House dates this photograph to his coronation in August,1902. Strathtay House was an outfitters run by Adam Smail. This building was the first in Dundee to have a lift, based on one seen in an hotel in Boston.
The building was taken over by Boots and is still there today. The buildings to the left, however, were demolished and the recently refurbished Overgate Shopping Centre now stands there.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.