D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1130
This building is now called Arnotts Department Store but is still referred to as D.M.Browns by some Dundonians. David Millar Brown established his business in 1888 and steadily expanded.
David Millar Brown bought new and innovative ideas to shopping. The business was acquired in 1952 by the House of Fraser Group although the name did not change to Arnotts until 1972.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.