D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1132
This area of the High Street remains much the same today. The D.M.Brown shop eventually expanded to encompass the rest of the businesses positioned to the right of it.
A glass arcade was built by the company to make a walkway from the High Street to Commercial Street. David Millar Brown started his apprenticeship with various drapers in Lochee and Dundee.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.