D. M. Brown, Commercial Street and High Street, Dundee - Ref: WC1133
David Millar Brown was an innovative businessman who started as an apprentice draper to many Lochee and Dundee shops. When he established his first shop he employed 3 people and by 1938 this number had risen to 400.
A tearoom was opened in 1900 an idea soon copied by other department store owners. The business was taken over by the House of Fraser Group in 1952 but was not renamed until 1972 when it became Arnotts.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.