Crail, Market Cross - Ref: WC2410
Associated with the Tollbooth as a symbol of corporate authority of the burgh is the Mercat Cross. Although only the shaft is old (seventeenth century) the design probably portrays the original appearance of the Cross with reasonable accuracy.
The cross reflects great credit on the citizens who carried through its restoration and re-sited it in its present central position in 1887.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.