Craig Pier, Dundee - Ref: WC0977
This photograph shows the ferry harbour in Dundee looking west across Craig Pier. The building to the right of the boat sitting on the sand was Craig House. The smaller building to the left was the booking office.
Ferries from Dundee ran to Newport and Tayport. They also left from the east end of Dundee harbour. The arched passage allows access (for smaller craft) to the open sea, but at low tide, that area, too, was a sandbank.
The five-storey warehouse to the right was in Craig Street, which is listed in the Dundee Directory as part of West Dock Street.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.