Cowgate, Dundee - Ref: WC0127
This photograph (strictly speaking) shows St Andrews Place, Dundee, where Cowgate and King Street meet; the trees behind the wall with railings are in the grounds of St Andrew's Church.
Fleming Brothers' City Clothing Warehouse at No. 16 dominates the corner of the scene, nextdoor to David McLardy & Co.'s domestic machinery warehouse. Fleming Brothers also had a Household Furnishing Co. at No. 15 and another shop in Lochee High Street.
McLardy's advertisement in the 1904-05 Dundee Directory lists mangels, wringers, sewing machines, etc., ice cream freezers and all kinds of household furniture, and drapery and boots - in other words, they sold just about every for the home.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.