Coronation decorations, Dundee - Ref: WC1700
View of Nethergate at the foot of South Lindsay Street.
Photograph shows highly decorated building on the corner of Nethergate and South Lindsay Street. The building is a Teeth Institute run by A Davie. In front is a small boy with a hoop. Birnies Photographic Apparatus shop next door in South Lindsay Street.
Because the Town Council were not holding many formal celebrations very few of the buildings were highly decorated. Only a Royal Salute and Parade in the Magdalene Green and banquet in the Town Hall was arranged.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.