Coat of Arms, Whitehall Close, Dundee - Ref: WC1814
This sculpture of a Coat of Arms is now housed in the Old Steeple in Dundee along with other rescued pieces of inscribed masonry. It formerly decorated a building in the Nethergate at the entrance to Whitehall Close.
The Coat of Arms belongs to Charles II. It shows the Tudor Badge as well as the emblems and arms of Scotland, England, Ireland and France. It dates, as can be clearly seen, from 1660.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.