Club House, St Andrews - Ref: WC3088
Royal and Ancient Club House 1854. Designed by George Rae. The Club was established in 1754 by a body of 22 gentlemen, headed by the Earls of Elgin and Wemyss.
The 1890s saw a tremendous expansion of golfing facilities to try to keep pace with demand, the R & A alone having over 800 members.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.