Claypotts Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1143
Claypotts Castle, here seen from the south east, stands at the north eastern end of Dundee on lands which were originally belonging to the Barony of Dundee, and thus one-time property of David, Earl of Huntingdon, a gift from his brother, William the Lion.
By the 16th century, the land belonged to the Abbet of Lindores (as did St Mary's church in the centre of the city) and was let to the Strachan family. John Strachan built the castle in the second half of that century, passing it on two generations.
A plot by the Maxwell family to take control was defeated before the Privy Council. Later the land was sold to the Graham family, more specifically the Grahams of Claverhouse. The most famous member of the family, Viscount Dundee, had no direct link.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.