Claypotts Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1144
The Claypotts estate stood at the north eastern edge of the Burgh of Dundee an belonged to the Abbey of Lindores in Fife (as did the church of St Mary's in the middle of the city).
The castle was built in the second half of the 16th century by John Strachan, who leased the land, during a period when another local noble (Henry Lovell of Ballumbie) terrorised the neighbourhood. It is built in a Z shape, with the towers around a square centre.
The castle later became the property of the Graham family, whose most famous member, John Graham of Claverhouse (Viscount or "Bonnie Dundee", the Covenanter who lost his life at Killiecrankie) never actually lived there.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.