Claverhouse, Dundee - Ref: WC1850
The famous Graham family originally owned the estate of Claverhouse having acquired it in the 16th century. Later, Claverhouse had a bleachfield and mill which was used by the jute manufacturing family, the Baxters.
Today Claverhouse is a modern housing estate and very little now remains of the original buildings on the estate. The mill, however, has been retained, though no longer as a mill, and now forms a central feature in the complex.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.