City Churches, St Mary's Tower, Doorway, Dundee - Ref: WC1801
This impressive ornate doorway belongs to the tower of St Mary's, or as it is more usually known in Dundee, the Old Steeple. The Old Steeple dates back to the 15th century. It has survived an extremely turbulent history.
More recently the Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s and is now open to the public. Organised tours with such titles as, "Torture Through the Ages," proving to be particularly popular.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.