City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1881
St Mary's Tower, or as it is better known, the Old Steeple, is one of the oldest surviving medieval church towers in Scotland. Built in the late 15th century it stands at 156 feet tall and has 232 steps to the top.
It survived the devastating fire which destroyed Dundee's City Churches in 1841. Refurbished in the late 1990s, the Old Steeple has recently been reopened to the public and is proving to be a great success with such organised tours as, "Torture through the Ages".
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.