City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1883
St Mary's Tower, more popularly known as the Old Steeple, is one of Dundee's oldest buildings. It dates back to the late 15th century. The Steeple has had a very interesting and varied history. It has been used as a watch-tower and a prison. It is also a belfry and from the 16th century, a clock tower.
More recently the Old Steeple survived the devastating fire of 1841 which destroyed the adjacent City Churches. It was restored in 1870 by famous architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott. Today the Old Steeple and City Churches are surrounded by a modern shopping complex, the Overgate Centre.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.