City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1378
The Gothic style St Mary's Tower was built in the late 15th century. More popularly known to Dundonians as the Old Steeple, it has endured a turbulent and interesting history, including being fortified by the English, who had captured Dundee, in the mid 1540s, and used in an unsuccessful siege against General Monk in 1651.
More recently, the Old Steeple survived the devastating fire of 1841 which destroyed the adjacent City Churches. They were rebuilt. In the late 1990s the Steeple was refurbished and has been reopened to the public. The Mercat Cross statue can also be seen in this photograph.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.