City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1884
This impressive doorway belongs to the Tower of St Mary's, better known as the Old Steeple. The Old Steeple dates back to the 1480s. Standing 48.8 metres (160ft) high, it is one of Scotland's highest surviving medieval church towers.
While the Old Steeple is open to visitors in the photograph, for the entrance fee of one penny, the Old Steeple was only rarely open to the public in more recent times. Following a recent refurbishment the Old Steeple has now been reopened and is once more proving to be a very popular attraction to locals and tourists alike.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.