City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1391
This is a photograph of an engraving of the Old Steeple and City Churches made by James Valentine. The caption underneath reads, "Respectfully presented to the inhabitants of Dundee. By their obedient servant, James Valentine".
Established in 1825, Valentines of Dundee manufactured greetings cards and postcards. They remained a family firm until 1963 when they were taken over by the John Waddington Group. Hallmark then took over the firm. Valentines closed in Dundee in 1994.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.