City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1394
In it s long history Dundee's St Mary's Tower, known locally as the Old Steeple, has served as a watch-tower, a belfry, a clock tower and a prison. Built in the 1480s the steeple underwent restoration under Sir George Gibert Scott in the 1870s.
The Old Steeple was refurbished again in the late 1990s. It has recently been reopened to the public where it is proving to be a very popular attraction offering guided tours with such eye-catching titles as, "Torture through the ages."
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.