City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1395
From 1789 until 1841 Dundee was in the unusual position of having four separate churches under one roof. Known collectively as the City Churches they shared one tower, the Old Steeple.
These churches comprised of the original St Mary's, the South Kirk, the North or Cross Kirk and St Clement's Kirk. A devastating fire in 1841 destroyed the churches. The Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.