City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1398
Dundee has had a church on this site since the 12th century. The original church, called St Mary's, was destroyed by Edward 1st, (Hammer of the Scots), in 1303. Eventually rebuilt by the 15th century, when the Old Steeple dates from, the church and steeple have endured a turbulent history.
By 1841 additions to the original church resulted in four separate churches under one roof. In January of that year a devastating fire broke out in the heating system of the East Kirk resulting in the destruction of the churches.Fortunately, the Old Steeple survived. The City Churches were rebuilt.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.