City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1399
The church was founded by David, Earl of Huntingdon and Prince of Scotland, brother of King William the Lion, First of Scotland after being saved from shipwreck in sight of Dundee returning from the 3rd Crusade with Richard First of England in 1189.
After many attacks during civil wars and unrest the church was finally restored in 1872 by Sir George Gilbert Scott at a cost of £8,780.00. This sum was raised from Dundee inhabitants and the Common Good Fund. In the grounds of the Church the pillar monument is the Mercat Cross.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.