City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1401
Earliest mention of Dundee Parish Church is in the First Charter of Lindores Abbey before 1198. The first mention of the Tower in Burgh records was in 1540.
In 1716 on 2nd October a decree announced that any member of the Town Council not attending church on the Sabbath without a relevant excuse would be find 12 shillings Scots and for being late by fifteen minutes would be fined 6 shillings Scots
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.