City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1402
This photograph shows th Old Steeple and Churches from Nethergate looking west. In the foreground of the photograph is a policeman with a group of boys and five Hansom cabs with drivers waiting to be hired.
Before the Reformation the Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep and Secret stronghold. In 1548 an English Fleet under Admiral Wyndham took possession of Dundee and fortified the Tower. Before they left, they took all the town's heavy ordnance and burnt the wooden floors in the Tower.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.