City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1888
In this photograph the City Churches and St Mary's Tower, more popularly known as the Old Steeple, are seen on a snowy, winters day. The Old Steeple dates back to the late 15th century. It narrowly survived the devastating fire which destroyed the City Churches in January, 1841.
Also destroyed in the blaze was the library belonging to the church, over 1800 volumes were lost, including pre-Reformation works. The churches were rebuilt and now comprise of St Mary's Parish Church, the Steeple Church and the Mary Slessor Community Centre.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.