City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1415
This photograph is entitled "The Tower at Dundee." First mention of the The Tower in Burgh records was in 1540,When it was decided to replace the clock. The new clock was put in on Palm Sunday 1543. Before the Reformation, The Tower was used as a Belfry, Keep and secret stronghold.
In 1548, an English fleet took possession of Dundee and fortified the Tower. Before they left, they took all the heavy ordnance and burnt the wooden floors. In mid 17th century, it was turned into a fort after a fire isolated the Tower. It was also used as a common gaol.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.