City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1889
This dramatic photograph shows the doorway of St Mary's Tower on a snowy, winters day. The Tower, more commonly known as the Old Steeple to the people of Dundee, was completed in the 1480s. It has had a turbulent history, serving the city as watch tower, prison, belfry and clock tower.
The Old Tower survived the terrible fire of 1841 which devastated the adjacent City Churches. Refurbished in the late 1990s, the Old Steeple has recently been reopened to the public and is proving to be a popular attraction to locals and tourists alike.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.