City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1874
This photograph shows a plan of the ground floor of St Mary's Tower, more popularly known as the Old Steeple. The Old Steeple was built in the 15th century and has had a turbulent history.
At one time the Old Steeple contained prison cells including the death chamber. It is also possible provision was made for lepers in the Steeple. The Old Steeple was refurbished in the late 1990s and has recently been reopened to the public.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.