City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1877
This photograph shows the snow covered doorway of St Mary's Tower. The tower is more popularly known as the Old Steeple. Built in the late 15th century, the steeple has had an interesting and turbulent history.
The Old Steeple and adjacent City Churches no longer have railings surrounding them. They now hold a central position in one of Dundee's shopping developments, the Overgate Centre. The Old Steeple underwent refurbishment in the late 1990s and has recently been reopened to the public.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.