City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1879
While the City Churches and Tower of St Mary's, better known as the Old Steeple, would still be recognisable today the surroundings have changed quite dramatically. The site is now a modern Shopping complex called the Overgate Centre with the Churches and Old Steeple at the centre.
The Old Steeple was built in the late 15th century and has had a turbulent and interesting history. The City Churches suffered a devastating fire in 1841 and were subsequently rebuilt. They now consist of St Mary's Parish Church, the Steeple Church and the Mary Slessor Community Centre.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.