City Churches, Dundee - Ref: WC1890
In this photograph the doorway to the tower of St Mary's is seen in dramatic fashion with snow piled up against the doors and accentuating the decorative stonework around the arches. The tower is more popularly known as the Old Steeple. It dates back to the late 15th century.
The Old Steeple has had an interesting turbulent history including Dundee's capture by the English in 1547 and General Monks attack of 1651. More recently the Steeple survived the devastating fire of 1841 which destroyed the adjoining City Churches. The Old Steeple has been reopened to the public and is proving a popular attraction.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.