Church, St Monance - Ref: WC3135
St Monance Church. Braehead 14th century church standing on a cliff above the sea. The church was built by David II in 1362-70 by Sir William Dishington, Master of Works.
There are medieval consecration crosses. The present church probably occupies the site of an early chapel dedicated to the Saint although no trace of such a building has been found.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.