Cholera Hospital, Dundee - Ref: WC1139
The Cholera Hospital stood at the junction of Union Street and Dock Street, opposite the West Station or Caledonian Railway. It is the area now occupied by the west end of Whitehall Crescent. This tenement building was built in1744 and used for residences for seafarers and harbour workers.
In 1826 there was an outbreak of cholera and because of this buildings relatively isolated position it was acquired by the Town Council as a special hospital for diseases which could not be treated at the Infirmary because of their infectious nature.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.