Caledonian Railway - Goods Station, Dundee - Ref: WC1024
The Caledonian Railway's good station was located in South Union Street, at Dundee West Station, the company's terminus in the city. To the south was the North British Railway's Tay Bridge Station.
Alexander Wilson, the Dundee jute calender (finishing plant) manager who took the photograph, was somewhat obsessed by the site - this is one of many such images in his collection.
The goods were carted to locations around the city and beyond by Wordie and Co., also in South Union Street. As well as the Caledonian, Wordie's carried freight for the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway, and the London and North Western Railway.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.