Caledonian Railway - Goods Station, Dundee - Ref: WC1028
This photograph by the Dundee amateur, Alexander Wilson, shows the Goods Station which was part of the Caledonian Railway's Dundee West, located to the north of the North British Station at Tay Bridge, on South Union Street.
The skylights of the passenger platform roofs can been seen to the righthand side. Much of Dundee's trade arrived by sea, but clearly sufficient amounts came by rail to make a specialist yard a necessity.
Wordie and Co., were the company charged with carting the goods to their customers. The manager in 1901 was H.F. Pollock, who lived at No. 2 Rustic Place, Broughty Ferry.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.