Cabs at Albert Institute - Ref: WC0997
This photograph from the Alexander Wilson collection is taken from outside the east end of D. C. Thomson's Courier building looking over to the Albert Institute, built to plans by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
The modern day taxi rank (of which this the precursor) runs along the south side of what are now called The McManus Galleries, in honour of one of the city's former Provosts.
The fountain in front the Albert Institute was damaged in a storm and had to be demolished. Although an attractive feature in the area, it was never replaced. There are other photographs taken during a particularly harsh winter, when the water froze.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.