Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1008
This photograph shows two of the most common means of public transport in turn-of-the-century Dundee: the tram running along Nethergate towards the High Street, and the cab stance outside the City Churches to the left.
One of the pioneers of cab travel in Dundee was W.P. Robertson, who started as a ordinary employee in a coach hiring establishment in King Street, and ended up owning and expanding it greatly, with his championing of the rubber tyre.
The Nethergate / High Street stance was the central point for the setting of fares, which were calculated according to various zones of the city, with sixpenny increments beyond the boundaries.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.