Cab stance at City Churches - Ref: WC1001
This photograph by Alexander Wilson shows Dundee's City Churches, which stand on the north side of the Nethergate, with the shops of Tally Street at the right and east, South Lindsay Street at the left.
The Mercat Cross (an original 16th century column surmounted by a replica of Scott Sutherland's Unicorn) stands in almost the same position today. The three churches are The Steeple Church, the South Church and the East Church.
The various styles of cabs functioned much as taxis do today. In fact, the location is style very much in use as a taxi rank, although the Lindsay Street junction is no longer there, since it was incorporated into the 1960s Overgate development.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.