Cab at Old Steeple - Ref: WC0998
This photograph shows the door on the west side of The Old Steeple, which stood at the south end of Lindsay Street when Alexander Wilson added this image to his collection.
The horse-drawn carriage (the equivalent of what call a taxi) was probably waiting there until space was available around the corner in front of the city churches, where there was a proper rank (as there is today).
The Steeple is perhaps Dundee's most striking edifice and certainly has some interesting history. The buildings to the left are the north side of Mid Kirk Style, which led to Tally Street near the junction with the Overgate.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.