Broughty Ferry Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1843
Broughty Ferry Castle dates from the 15th century. It was ideally situated as a coastal fort on the River Tay. Originally the property of the Earls of Angus. It has had a long and turbulent history.
By 1787 it was a ruin. It was purchased by Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1846, by 1854 it was offered for sale again and purchased for national defence. It became an ancient monument in the 1930s. In this photograph it is seen in silhouette.
Alexander Wilson, who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.