Broughty Ferry Castle, Dundee - Ref: WC1844
Broughty Ferry Castle was built as defence against the English in the 15th century. It has had a very turbulent history, being held by both the English and the French in the 16th century. It was reduced to a ruin by 1787.
Bought by the Edinburgh and Northern Railway in 1846, it was then resold for military use in 1854. It became an ancient monument in the care of the Ministry of Works in the 1930s. It still stands today, a well known landmark in Broughty Ferry, housing a natural history museum.
Alexander Wilson who took this photograph, was a supervisor in a Dundee jute mill for over 20 years. He bequeathed much of his collection and £50, to cover the costs involved, to the Free Library Committee of Dundee in 1923.